Friday, April 17, 2015

Opinions on the Long Composition


Students were proud and relieved to have finished the ELA part of the MCAS. Here is some information two students in 5th grade collected to share with others about the experience.

ABOUT THE MCAS
By Maya Roldan & Emily Howely

My friend and I did some interviewing with some 4th & 7th graders to find out their opinions on the long composition. Here's one of our conversations with a 4th grader.
Us: How did you enjoy the long composition?
Student: Good. It took me 3 hours to do the rough draft.
Us: Did you think it took too long?
Student: I ended with a little time left.
Us: Did you have a different schedule today?
Student: Yah. We had lunch at 1:00.
Us: Did your teachers prepare you well?
Student: Yes.
Us: Were you nervous at first?
Student: Yah. Because I didn't know what the prompt would be.  

We interviewed a few more 4th graders too. Here's a short one.  
Us: were you nervous at first?
Student: Yes.

Another 4th grader.
Us: So, how was the comp?
Student: Scary!
Us: Did you like the prompt?
Student: Yes. It was interesting.
Us: Were you nervous you wouldn't have enough time?
Student: Yes! Very.

Now here, we decided to ask a teacher a question.  Here's  Miss Garity.
Us: Do you think your students did a good job?
Miss Garity: Yes. I know they worked very hard all day long.

Here's one more 4th grader.
Us: Did you like the prompt?
Student: Yes, I did.
Us: Do you think it took too long?
Student: Yah. My teacher said I could take a break, & then I got back to writing.

Here are our two conversations with 7th graders.
Us: Do you think your teachers prepared you well, and did you enjoy the composition?
Student: Yes, I did.

Us: Did you enjoy the comp?
Student: No.
Us: Do you think your teachers prepared you well?
Student: It's more a personal preference, so there's not really much to teach. I mean, it really depends on the correct spelling and grammar.  

Thanks everyone who we interviewed! I hope this also gave the 3rd graders some background knowledge, because they'll take the long comp next year!  :)